For almost ten years Next Door Solutions to Domestic Violence has offered older adults in our community the MAVEN program, Mature Alternatives for Violent Environments Now. With this program we have reached out to and helped over 745 women over the age of 50 in the last five years. The MAVEN program has offered one-on-one counseling and case management, a support group, home visits and field trips, as well as outreach and education to community organizations.
In addition, collaborative efforts between MAVEN and various community agencies have increased awareness about domestic violence, elder abuse, and the resources available for individuals. Through the MAVEN support group and individual counseling, many women have developed the necessary coping skills and support systems in order to continue to thrive.
Therefore, it is with great sadness that we have to inform you that the MAVEN program will end as of June 1st, 2011 due to a loss of integral grant funding. Like many community-based organizations, Next Door has not been able to weather the current economic difficulties without some losses to its programs. Even so, Next Door will continue to offer services for mature adults by providing the following:
- 24 hour crisis intervention hotline available for victims of domestic violence, their relatives and adults that interact with victims. Our hotline number is (408) 279-2962.
- 24-hour Emergency Shelter available for victims of domestic violence. Please call (408) 279-2962 for more information.
- Walk-in emergency services Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at our community office. Our address is 234 E. Gish Road. Suite 200, San Jose, 95112.
- Individual Advocacy services available by appointment at our community office. Please call (408)501-7550.
- Legal support (e.g. restraining orders, court accompaniment, etc.). Please call (408) 501-7550 for an appointment to receive these services.
- Support groups Monday and Tuesday nights from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. Spanish language support groups are available. Support groups take place at Next Door’s community office and other locations in the community.
- Self Sufficiency workshops Wednesday nights from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m..
- Yoga and Quilting classes are offered on Wednesday nights from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
As always, please feel free to call our community office for more information regarding all the services and programs Next Door provides. Our telephone number is (408) 501-7550. Our web address is www.nextdoor.org.
We hope that the Santa Clara County community will continue to support Next Door by providing assistance for older adult victims of domestic violence. We are grateful for your efforts and we thank you for your assistance in ending domestic violence in the moment and for all time.